+4
cosmicfreakout
douse
tewn
Doomchild
8 posters
AuthorMessage

World music that Dax refers to Empty
PostSubject: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 9:51 am

I watched and read interviews where Dax talks about World Music that he listens to. He refers to a psychedelic Turkish band. Do you know what is that band or performer, or any other of the non American music he listens to. Would that be Erkin Koray or Kasabian, for example? I heart
Back to top Go down
Doomchild
the janitor
Doomchild

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 10:51 am

I don't like the term 'world music', because for me it's alyways been only sub-par boring shit with some African drums thrown in the mix that I've come across under that label. ouch
Please share some cool vids and whatnot!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 am

These are three bands I like, but I really want to know what Dax's favorite bands from the area are (I don't want to be limited by geographic area, I am really curious about what music Dax finds interesting).

This band is from Macedonia:

These two are Bulgarian:

sorry for the should-be-censored album cover oops
Back to top Go down
tewn

tewn

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 12:30 pm

isn't all music world music?
Back to top Go down
Doomchild
the janitor
Doomchild

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 7:46 pm

I always understood the genre as fusion of mostly pop/rock music and folkloristic elements. But that just me. And it's a super vague description anyway.

I kinda like the last one up there, but it's just hard rock imho. And according to my definition Amorphis would be world music too. lol And that can't be true.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Dax says: ''I’m also really influenced by Zambian music, a lot of African music, Turkish music, Iranian music, outside of folk, that music is my main influence."
(google tpr-exclusive-an-interview-with-dax-riggs to find the interview)

That is Freaky Awesome! I want to hear some of that music so I am here fishing for help from other people who get a chance to talk to Dax or if anyone had heard what is the non Western music that he listens to.

beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer

at Doomchild: cool you liked the Kontrol album, the popular song of it starts at 25:50 and is called the Happiest Day (it's a happy break up song about the happiest day when ' you are far away from me')

at tewn: It is All World Music, you're right! bounce 
Back to top Go down
douse
shitty titties
douse

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 8:25 pm

suicide
Back to top Go down
douse
shitty titties
douse

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 5:42 pm

lol 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 6:31 pm

I know he likes Tinariwen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 7:59 pm

ty notworthy 

more, anyone?

I heart 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 9:14 pm

ty!

Sounds like something my mother would have listened to if she were exposed to it. Back in the day at home they preferred mainstreaming Western (think Queen and Dire Straits) rock'n'roll than Turkish.

How about Iranian and Syrian music, and other too?

I heart 

(wow)

Last edited by elysa on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 9:07 am

I sadly learned of Iranian rock bands in the news today (Yellow Dogs and Free Keys). What a tragedy.

pale
Back to top Go down
cosmicfreakout
keep on climbin'
cosmicfreakout

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 10:59 pm

I'm fairly certain i've heard Dax mention before in an interview that he likes this old psych-rock band from South Africa.  could be wrong though.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 9:46 am

ty I heart 

bounce2 add more if you think of anything else
Back to top Go down
douse
shitty titties
douse

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 10:54 am

Back to top Go down
ressha

ressha

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 11:09 am

"let my chevy ride, just another homicide"
Back to top Go down
FormalinDance
Strange Soul
FormalinDance

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Dax was really into Tinariwen for a while
Back to top Go down
baby's in black

baby's in black

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Elysa, I know that he's into Paul Ngozi (Ngozi Family) and Chrissy Zebby Tembo who are considered Zamrock. I had the absolute pleasure of having my mind blown from him showing me tons of stuff. Other African bands I can think of are Witch and Amanaz. He also introduced me to Kourosh Yaghmaei from Iran. Erkin Koray is awesome, if you've never heard him, I highly suggest him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 12:04 am

Thanks! I'll check these out.
Back to top Go down
michealmoon

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 3:41 am

He's recently turned me onto Baris Manco, as well as The Nygozi Family...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Dax turned me onto Yanni. Thanks, Dax!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World music that Dax refers to   World music that Dax refers to I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

World music that Dax refers to
Page 1 of 1