miked_for_doom
HellfirE
KimmieRae70
Doomchild
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Music you've discovered through Dax Empty
PostSubject: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:54 am

Bert Jansch
Shirley Collins
Blaze Foley  
Townes Van Zandt
T. Rex

I think there are more ... just slipping my mind right now.

Last edited by Supernaut on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doomchild
the janitor
Doomchild

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:01 am

Wasn't familiar at all before with
Townes Van Zandt
Bonnie Prince Billie

Dax's covers made me check out more
Nick Drake
Leonard Cohen

There were some others I can't remember, which he mentioned in interviews, but apparently they didn't stick, so they don't count, I guess.
Back to top Go down
KimmieRae70
Snakecharmer
KimmieRae70

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:48 am

Roky Erickson (with and w/o 13th Floor Elevators)
Bonnie Prince Billy
Black Lips
and yeah, as with Doomchild..definitely delved into Nick Drake and Leonard Cohen cuz of Dax, also Neutral Milk Hotel

Dax has such eclectic and interesting musical taste...it's really fascinating
Back to top Go down
HellfirE
old corpse
HellfirE

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:19 pm

cohen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Doomchild wrote:
Wasn't familiar at all before with
Townes Van Zandt
Bonnie Prince Billie

Dax's covers made me check out more
Nick Drake
Leonard Cohen

There were some others I can't remember, which he mentioned in interviews, but apparently they didn't stick, so they don't count, I guess.

Listening to him now on last.fm. Nice stuff.
Back to top Go down
miked_for_doom

miked_for_doom

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:23 pm

Santeria and Dege
Back to top Go down
MelancholyVGS311

MelancholyVGS311

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:28 am

Santeria and The Twitches.

Still itching to see one of them, but I have been lucky enough to see Dege do a solo set before one of the last time Dax played at Chelsea's Cafe.
Back to top Go down
Doomchild
the janitor
Doomchild

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 5:17 am

miked_for_doom wrote:
Santeria and Dege

Oh, shit, of course! horns
Back to top Go down
theantispiritoftime

theantispiritoftime

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 1:57 pm

um, Nick Cave
Back to top Go down
doomtroll
The Passenger
doomtroll

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Santeria
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Been listening to Reverend Gary Davis. Awesome stuff.

Dax, if you're reading this I just want to say thanks!!!11
Back to top Go down
hungryforhope

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 8:34 pm

mostly thankful for finding out about townes van zandt...he is amazing and I love his songwriting so much. dax does bad ass versions of his songs.
Back to top Go down
caseybarlow

caseybarlow

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:16 pm

funny thing i got into Buddy Holly cuz of Dax's cover... i mean i've heard his songs before but never really listened to him much.. now he's one of my fav artists
Back to top Go down
The Loach

The Loach

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Just got the new Bonnie Prince Billy/Dawn McCarthy record at a Faun Fables show last night.

Townes VZ as well.
Back to top Go down
cosmicfreakout
keep on climbin'
cosmicfreakout

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Santeria

Nick Drake
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 5:48 pm

been listening to a lot of bonnie prince billy lately, im digging most of it
Back to top Go down
BrotherMystic

BrotherMystic

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Lee Hazlewood, Scott Walker, Nick Drake, Roky Erickson, Leonard Cohen, Tinariwen, Shirley Collins, Steeleye Span, T. Rex, The Gun Club, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Those Poor Bastards, O'Death...the list goes on. The man's got a superb taste in music. A big thanks to Dax for guiding my ears to these guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 3:53 am

Jerry Jeff Walker
Back to top Go down
baby's in black

baby's in black

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 6:24 pm

John Jacob Niles, Michael Hurley, Paul Ngozi, Julian Cope
Back to top Go down
mushroomleg

mushroomleg

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 8:32 am

bonnie prince billy
neutral milk hotel
t-rex
Back to top Go down
Drake
W8ing4Brain2Xplode
Drake

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 8:39 am

Santeria
Bonnie Prince Billie
Neutral Milk Hotel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 12:28 pm

santeria and bonnie prince billy rule
Back to top Go down
beercan
Blackness in my Blues
beercan

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen, Lucinda Williams (less than the others, but I enjoy her and don't change the channel when she comes on Outlaw Country or something).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 12:16 am

Listening to a lot of Sparks lately.
Back to top Go down
Ugly Dave
aka Sandman
Ugly Dave

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 8:50 am

Santeria and Dege of course.

Dax got me into Nick Drake, I may or may not have discovered him eventually without Dax but when I did it changed my life. Learning Nick Drake songs helped me find my voice as a guitar player as well as helped me stumble blindly through life in general. Nick is an idol of sorts to me, a true artist.
Less importantly also got into T Rex, Small Faces, Neutral Milk Hotel and surely many others through Dax. One of my favorite parts of music and art in general is when you discover one artist, you basically discover 20 more through their influences and interests.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music you've discovered through Dax   Music you've discovered through Dax I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music you've discovered through Dax
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next